2015-10-02

What's wrong with this picture.

The author is talking about you. Yeah, you, college student who is apparently so immersed in/damaged by technology that you cannot communicate face to face. Is technology a scape goat for other political, social, and economic issues behind this perceived detachment of you from an ethical and emotional existence? 
Whaddya think?

Sherry Turkle, "Stop Googling, Let's Talk," NYT Sunday 27 Sept 2015
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/opinion/sunday/stop-googling-lets-talk.html?hpw&rref=sunday-review&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=1&referer=http://m.facebook.com

1 comment:

  1. The era of post-irony unadulterated nihilism where we all genuinely look for a connection but can't find so we connect in disconnected spaces yet disconnect in connected places. I think this fits well with the early history of video games which served as refuge for the disappearing outdoor spaces. I feel like smartphones are now refuges for these different sorts of real world encounter (which are caused by smartphones and the like). But I don't think this should be treated as good or bad, it's just the way our society is evolving and it has already given birth to a new set of aesthetics and artistic movements such as vaporwave.

    Fabio U.

    ReplyDelete

Post here!