2017-03-20

Surveillance etc.

The two articles I found most interesting are the facial recognition and "big brother"-esque articles, which I like for what are probably opposing ideas. On one hand, I really like the idea of Adam Harvey's attempt to essentially trick facial recognition software because it's a funny way of having to regress from the advancements we've made in technology. The fact that we have made technology so smart that it can use algorithms to "recognize" us is both impressive and a little scary--and now we (or maybe just Adam will) have to find loopholes to trick our own technology so that the wrong hands don't take advantage of it. The science behind it is interesting as well, and I thought the process might be a bit more complicated, but Harvey's plan seems pretty straightforward.

I also liked the article that referenced 1984 and the fact that Big Brother is alive and well in America, because it's true and a bit concerning. The way this author lists all of the ways in which we are tracked and observed is unsettling, and reminds me a bit of the movie Eagle Eye (with Shia LeBeouf). Essentially, all technology capable of tracking, observing, and documenting is manipulated, and the relevance that has to today's world is quite scary. I'm not sure if I can exactly "get over it," as one suggests in this article, and I'd like to think that privacy does still exist, even if very specifically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post here!