As someone who has never played video games in my life, I found this article about David O'Reilly's new video game, "Everything," to be really interesting. Firstly, I thought about the line between video games and digital art, and I think in this case, it is definitely art, because of the underlying message, and how as you play it makes you think of a deeper, more global meaning. But with that being said, for my taste I think it's a little too cheesy, and a little too Kumbaya-esque, which I think is clearly shown in this part of the article; "As you occupy the life of a family of algae or read the thoughts of a television with relationship problems, Watts tells you about the basic interconnectivity of all things, the way in which we are all a part of one grand, luminescent thing. It’s symbiosis on a mass scale, writ across the innumerable bodies that populate the universe." It then goes on to talk about symbiosis, so I overall think it is trying to evoke a lot of deep meaning from a video game.
As someone who has never played video games in my life, I found this article about David O'Reilly's new video game, "Everything," to be really interesting. Firstly, I thought about the line between video games and digital art, and I think in this case, it is definitely art, because of the underlying message, and how as you play it makes you think of a deeper, more global meaning. But with that being said, for my taste I think it's a little too cheesy, and a little too Kumbaya-esque, which I think is clearly shown in this part of the article; "As you occupy the life of a family of algae or read the thoughts of a television with relationship problems, Watts tells you about the basic interconnectivity of all things, the way in which we are all a part of one grand, luminescent thing. It’s symbiosis on a mass scale, writ across the innumerable bodies that populate the universe." It then goes on to talk about symbiosis, so I overall think it is trying to evoke a lot of deep meaning from a video game.
ReplyDelete